Friday, September 05, 2008

(8) I turn my gaze toward the morning sun (8)

So, I am once again posting from the University. I think it's probably best for today because I have a lot that I want to write about, but when I get home and it's late, I never do it. So first awesome thought of the day. Some of my friends are coming home this weekend!!! You have no idea how happy I am to be able to see them for a little while. I mean, I'm going up next weekend, but seeing them a two weekends in a row is like eating ice cream twice a week. Once is great, but getting to look forward to another ice cream day is just so much cooler. That might not have made any sense, but it made sense it my head.

Second news of the day is that I just got done performing for my music ed class. I'm not going to lie, it was one of the scariest things that I have ever done. We had to choose 45 seconds from a piece that we've been preparing and sing or play it for the class. I chose Into the Night by Clara Edwards. I really love that piece, but let's be honest the acoustics in classrooms sucks. I felt like I was singing like a little mouse. That could be attributed to the accoustics as well as the continual shaking of every part of my body. So really I just exagerated a lot. It wasn't as bad as I'm making it sound, but I still wasn't proud of what I did. I had this huge plan to just be great and do my best, and I felt like I didn't show them what I can really do. I've felt like that a lot lately.

On TRAX today I thought about what I would say when people asked why I was all dressed up. I decided that I would tell them that I had a performance, and then they would proceed to ask me how it went. I decided I would tell them I'm ready to change majors. I'm not really, but sometimes I just feel kind of inadequate here. I feel like there are all these awesome, amazing singers that could sing circles around me, and I'm just some random girl who thinks this is what she wants to do with the rest of her life. I mean really college is going great. I'm making new friends that are pretty awesome, and I'm starting to adjust to all this craziness. I really like my musicianship class. I'm getting pretty good at hearing pitches and knowing where they fit into the scale, and I'm starting to learn cool words like tonic and leading tone. I just need to adjust still.

I think that the sorority thing killed my spirit last night. I'm pretty sure that I'm one of those people that just needs to not ever have to meet new people. I know that's not possible, but I'm pretty sure that I'm bad at it. It was all right, and they gave us food. I would say free food, but that's a lie because I had to pay to get in, but it was worth it. I hope. Alan made me feel better though. He watched some crazy awesome iron chef with me when I got home, and since that's my favorite show in the whole world, I was bound to feel better.

Next item of business. I did something this week that I really don't do. I quit something before I even tried it. I was going to join the institute choir, but I decided that staying until 9 two nights a week was just ridiculous. My mom made me feel bad by asking me how I would feel if they sang in general conference, and I would feel pretty bad if that happened actually; however, I still feel like that's not the choir for me and that I'll be better off as a person and a student if I take this first semester a little slower than I planned. I tend to be a bit overly ambitious when it comes to what I can really handle without getting stressed beyond reason. So, it was a good decision in the end, but it's definitely not something I do very well. I tend to do things whether I have time for them or not, so it's weird to start narrowing down my schedule to things that I really want to do. I feel good about it though, so that's good, I guess.

So yeah, life is pretty good. My friends are coming home this weekend, I'm going to see my friends next weekend, sorority will... get better, I'll be home around five every night but one, and I'm making new friends. I'm doing well, and this second week has definitely been better than the first week could ever have hoped to be. I hope that everything is going well for all of you. To those that are coming home this weekend, yay! I can't even wait to see you! So have a great day, friends. I hope you know how important all of you still are to me.

-Fluffy

4 comments:

Heather said...

Well if it means anything, I think you are a beautiful singer and way talented. :) I hope things are going well for you. Have a great day!!

-Heather

Rachel Frost said...

I think you're really good at music! I couldn't do it. Music majors are so competitive, and strenuous, and aren't given enough acknowledgment. Honestly, YOU ARE AMAZING! And I love you.

M-smash said...

Ha! Surprise!

:) You didn't even know what I was coming home did you?

I'm flip flopping between two majors right now, but music is SO worth the work even though it can be hard.
Believe me.
W.I.T.

Anonymous said...

Melissa,
I think it's cool that you're doing music. I was drawn away from it by the intense study, but I know you'll be okay. You're a hard worker, and college is definitely not about being the best. We are all sort of used to aspiring to be the best at everything, especially in high school. Now it's about being OUR best. That's what i think anyway.
-James