Monday, September 29, 2008

(8) Don't you know you're beautiful just the way you are? (8)

So here I am in my basement again sitting on my lap top and reflecting on the day. This whole blogging thing is really helping figure out what I need to fix and how I can fix it. I like being able to just sit down at the end of the day and reflect. It's nice just to note progress and things that can be done better. It's helpful, and I like it. It's fun to look back and see days that were hard, excellent, or just somewhere in between.

So today was definitely leaning towards one of the more excellent days; however, it definitely didn't start out that way. I woke up today feeling pretty good about the day. I wore a T-Shirt and jeans, and that always makes me happy. The only thing that would have made the outfit better would be the substitution of sweatpants or basketball shorts instead of the jeans. But you win some you lose some. So I headed off to TRAX and got there a little early which is always nice, and when I got to school I ran into Marissa and talked to her for a bit. It's always nice to see friends in the morning. So then I went to my first class and we had a really stupid quiz that was explained terribly unfairly. But a kid in my group complained and the teacher said she'd take care of it. I was actually fairly impressed by that. I thought it was great that she listened to what the students were feeling and saying and said she'd fix it. She recognizes that she makes mistakes, and was willing to correct it. I just thought that was cool, and I logged it away in my brain for future teaching reference.

So then I had about an hour break before my next class and so I walked with Chelsea and Whitney to the computer lab and I hung out there for a bit then went to a practice room to practice for my voice lesson this week. I'm not going to lie, I kind of used that as my escape for a little while. I think the test kind of stressed me out and I was feeling sort of overwhelmed and sad about a few things. So I thought that being alone for a bit and distracting myself would be a good thing.

Then Brock walked with me to theory and we joked about having a pop quiz which we did. It wasn't hard though, so it wasn't a big deal. It was pretty funny though. So yeah, theory was good, and I asked a few good questions that really helped me grasp what we're learning.

I'm feeling like moving in a different direction for the remainder of this post. So I'm going for it. As I was coming back from theory I was still feeling a little low because I was feeling kind of lonely again. But this time I decided to change my attitude and to go to the lounge and talk to some people. So I did. I went and I talked with a really sweet girl from choir and then Chelsea came in and we talked and laughed at funny things that my friends said this weekend. And for the rest of the day I felt really good about things. I missed my trax stop because I was talking with people from school, but it was all right because I was talking with people from school. I guess today was just one of those days where I really learned that focusing on the good is important, and putting forth an effort is important too.

I learned a lot of really good lessons in church yesterday, and it was great to see them in action. I have tons of flaws, but is it really going to make me feel better to focus on them? Of course not, and today I tried that. I tried to be myself and hoped that people liked it. It wasn't so bad, and it made today better because I put forth an effort. I'm not saying that every day is going to be better from now on, but today was an improvement, and that's what is important. Some things really are moving forward and getting better, and that's what I want to focus on.

So that's the moral of the story today. Focus on the good. I'm trying my best to make each day worth something good. Hard days are ahead, but so are so many really great ones. So yeah, today can be considered a success. I did my best to make today worth something, and that feels really good. Good night friends. I really hope you're all doing well and that things are going well for you. Night.

-Fluffy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Melissa,
I'm so happy for you. I absolutely love those moments when you really, truly, give 100% to apply what you learned. Sometimes it's SOOOOOOOO hard to make a bad situation into something that you laugh about later that day, rather than something that drags the day down. I'm glad that you are meeting people that you can really be yourself around, because everyone deserves to have those people at all times. I'm glad that voice lessons are great for you. When you told me that you logged away what happened during Music Theory with the pop quiz, that's the kind of thing that tells me that you'll be a great music teacher. I'm sending my kids to you. LOL. Well have an excellent one. You're probably reading this on Tuesday, but I wish you the best everyday of your life, because that's what you deserve. Now it doesn't matter what day it is when you read this.
your friend,
James