Sunday, August 31, 2008

(8) I'm that little bit of hope when you're back's against the ropes. (8)

So tonight I think that I might focus my entry on some more serious stuff. Not stuff that is too serious. haha Just stuff that I think is kind of important to talk about. So the whole point to this preface is to make you not freaked out by my seriousness. So, here I go.

Today I thought a lot about kindness and what it means to be kind. I have actually been thinking about this a lot lately because I've had a lot of time to observe people doing kind things while I have no one to talk to on campus. I just get so happy when I see people being kind to other people because we all have things that we struggle with, and it would be such a nicer world to live in if we could all be looking out for the people around us. I can't say that this past week has been filled with me giving a lot of kindness, but I have sure received a lot of it. I was sitting alone at lunch the other day, and a girl that I met came and sat with me and we ate lunch together. It was just something small, but it really did mean something to me. It made me feel like I was worth someone else's time. I think that's kind of what it boils down to. When we do something kind for someone else, it's almost like we're telling them that they're worth something to us.

I was riding trax on Friday and I looked over at this kid and he asked the three girls standing around him if one of them would like to have his seat. It was something simple, but it was so respectful and kind. It was probably not a huge deal to him, but it really meant something to me. There are so many terrible things going on in this world, and I'm just so grateful that there are still people who genuinely care about other people.

I just really appreciate good things that people do for other people. Sometimes when I watch the news I get conned into believing that everything around me is falling to pieces. But when I go out into the world and watch what other people are doing, I feel better. When I see someone offer their seat to someone else or help a sweet blind person find a chair safely I just feel good about things. Things are going to turn out all right. The bad will get worse, but I think that the good will also get better.

Anyways, I'm really going to try and work on being kinder to others. I'd like to think that most people are doing their best at this whole life thing, and I'd really like to be someone that tries to make it a little easier for the people I meet. Life's hard enough, and I think it's great when I see people trying to make it easier for other individuals.

Anyways, good night friends. Keep doing what you're doing. I'm sure that you're all people who are receivers and givers of kindness. Good luck with everything you're doing.

-Fluffy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When you mentioned how watching the news makes us think that everyone and everything in this world is getting worse and then you said that the little things you see give you hope, I loved that. Thanks for making my sabbath just that much better; you'll always be one of the stars that i want to shine as bright as.
Your friend,
James