Tuesday, January 01, 2008

(8) Nothing's Wrong With Me (8)

So I was watching Oprah today and I was very much intrigued by the show. The show was called something like the High School Challenge. They showed a high school that did this crazy cool activity where the got a bunch of students together from all the different clicks and they had them open up to each other. They talked about all sorts of prejudices, hurts, and pains that the students had gone through.

It was really interesting to see how I, living really far away from this high school, could still connect to these students. I had been through many of the same things that these other high school students had been through. The talked about being teased and made fun of a lot and most of us can probably identify with that. I'm sure that most, if not all, of us have been teased by someone on quite a few occasions.

In the segment they did an activity where they said something and everyone that identified with it stepped across the line. They had categories for racism, teasing, and so much more and it was interesting to see which of the categories I would have stepped over the line for.

Anyways, the point of the whole activity was to attempt to break down some of the barriers that are created in high school. It was to get us to look past certain prejudices that we have against people based on race, gender, or anything else that is just a part of who people are. The point was to try and show people how to be less biased and judgemental. A lot of the kids that shared parts of their lives shared things that couldn't be seen based on a glance. Many of the teenagers were going through really tough things like weight problems, death, sickness, and low self-esteem.

I'm definitely not perfect at not being judgemental, but I'm going to try to be better. I'm really going to try to understand that everyone is trying to do their best and I shouldn't judge someone that I don't really know. It's hard; it's worth it.

-Fluffy